21 Mar Finding The Right Preventive Dentist in Boca Raton
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry refers to the process of caring for your teeth to keep them healthy. This process allows you to avoid the costly bills associated with gum disease, cavities, enamel decay and more. Some forms of preventive dentistry start at home. Regular brushing and flossing are forms of preventive care. There are also some ways a dentist in Boca Raton can help. Regular cleaning, x-rays, and fluoride cleanings provided by your dentist can help. So it is important to take care of your teeth before problems occur. After all, we only have two sets of teeth, and they have to last our whole lives.
Prevention Starts at Home
The American Dental Association recommends that everyone brush their teeth for two minutes twice a day. A recent survey found that seven of ten Americans brush their teeth twice a day. This means that thirty percent of American’s aren’t doing enough brushing. Brushing your teeth removes plaque, which causes cavities, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Furthermore, the fluoride in toothpaste makes teeth resistant to decay and promotes remineralization. People that don’t brush often enough are at a much greater risk of getting cavities, and developing gum disease than people who do.
Brushing isn’t the only thing you need to do to maintain your smile. Flossing is even more important in maintaining your smile. The ADA conducted a survey in 2013 and only fifty percent of American’s floss daily. Nineteen percent of American’s admitting to not flossing at all. The ADA recommends flossing once daily. A toothbrush isn’t capable of getting the areas between your teeth clean and leaving plaque in those spaces can cause serious issues. Flossing helps prevent cavities, removes plaque and is important in fighting gum disease.
Professional Preventive Dentistry
While it is important to do everything in your power to keep your teeth healthy, it isn’t possible to do it all at home. That is where a dentist in Boca Raton can help. Regular dental checkups can spot issues before they become too severe. At home, you don’t have the tools required to give yourself the most thorough teeth cleaning. You also don’t have the ability to do dental x-rays. Dental x-rays can spot things the naked eye can’t see such as infections in the bone, developmental abnormalities, and certain types of tumors.
Here is a list of the top five reasons to find a preventive dentist in Boca Raton:
- Preventing Oral Cancer: The Oral Cancer Foundation says that one person dies of oral cancer every hour in the United States alone. Having a regular dentist checkup can spot this serious, but highly curable disease early.
- Preventing Gum Disease: Gum disease is in infection in the tissue and bone surrounding your teeth. If diagnosed while it is still in the gingivitis stage, gum disease can be treated and reversed. Regular dental cleanings are one of the best ways to prevent gum disease.
- Detecting Dental Problems Early: Just like any other type of medical problem, early detection and treatment are key. Early detection of broken filling, gum disease, and cavities make them much easier to treat. This prevents more painful and costly dental procedures later such as root canals, gum surgery and the removal of teeth.
- Having a Bright and White Smile: While this may not seem that important to you, to some people it is. Regular cleanings can stop staining from tobacco, coffee, and soda. This keeps your teeth bright and white and gives you a confidence boost.
- Saving You Money: Lastly and most importantly, regular checkups and cleaning save you money. Preventing larger problems that have much more costly fixes is the biggest reason for preventive dentistry.
What Happens to Teeth as You Age
Years of use take a toll on your teeth. Every time you chew, bite or grind you’re wearing your teeth down. Over time the enamel on your teeth wears down, and as you age, it’s even more important to take care of your teeth. You can’t avoid some wear and tear on your teeth after all that is what they are for, but you can keep it from getting worse. Staying away from hard foods and ice is one way to keep your teeth and enamel intact.
Arguably the biggest reason to take preventative measures when it comes to your teeth are the consequences. If you’ve ever had any tooth pain, you know that it is the worst. Not taking care of your teeth will lead to cavities, tooth decay, gum disease and other problems. The result is that you have to have your teeth pulled and replaced with dental implants. This process is painful and costly. No one wants dentures or dental implants but not taking care of your teeth will leave you no other choice.
Luckily you can help avoid the consequences by finding the right preventive dentist in Boca Raton.